Tuesday 27 March 2018

A Stressful Shock

This is not the normal kind of thing one might put in a blog, but I am at a loss.

A very close family member has just been diagnosed with Small Vessel Disease (SVD) or in other words, vascular dementia!  This has come as a terrible shock to everyone.  I know that it affects so many people and their families and we are at a loss as to how to begin dealing with it all and getting help for him and his carers.

The Alzheimer's Society have a support worker they are going to see and there are also carer's meetings held nearby which will be a great help.

I have also found out that there are various talking groups, singing groups and befriending groups available as well.  This is something that I had never had occasion to even think about as no other member of my  family had had this distressing disease.  Although my mother did need residential care in her last couple of years she was never diagnosed with dementia, only 'old age'.

How have you been able to deal with this kind of diagnosis and have you had any experience of looking after someone who has any of the dementia diagnoses that are listed under the Alzheimer's cover ?

I am desperate for advice and would welcome any comments you may give me.

Ann x

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments: