Monday 14 March 2011

Pendine

Wow, everyone - you have all been blogging like crazy recently and I have been idle!
But I am still around and about!
~
However, I did leave Pembrokeshire and venture into Carmarthenshire and Pendine Beach.
Most famous for Malcolm Campbell and his vehicle Bluebird. Between them they broke all kinds of land speed records on this 7 mile beach in Carmarthen Bay.
~
I found one or two treasures on my short walk on the beach.
~
There were loads of loads of razor shells in all different sizes and colours.
~
I cannot begin to guess how long this whelk shell had been in the sea for it to be so covered in all these barnacles.
~
Then I went to visit a friend who lives just up the road.
On the way I passed this lovely old church. St Margaret's Church in Pendine
"This ancient church, known in Welsh as the Eglwys Cymyn Church, has been called the most interesting of the local churches. The church's great claim to fame is that it holds the Avitoria stone, a fifth-Century memorial stone to Avitoria the daughter of Cunegnus, inscribed in Ogham, the Irish system of writing with groups of strokes down the angle of a stone. The church also contains a stunning 20th Century stained glass window. It shows the saints associated with the church, including Brychan, king of Brycheiniog, with three of his saintly children on his lap, Brychan's grandson Cynin the warrior and king; Saint Teilo, David, patron saint of Wales, St George and the Archangel Michael."
I did not have time to go inside this time, but it is well worth a visit.
~
My friend's partner has lambs - lots and lots of them, so I had to get the camera out!
~
I plan to complete the March photographic challenge, which should include a picture of a lamb. I hope I will be able to find my entry within all the various shots I took of Hewlyn's lambs.
~
A dainty trio!
~
A typical West Wales Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire spring day.
Looking its spectacular best.
~
Hope you all had a great weekend. Ann x
~

2 comments:

BadPenny said...

Perfect lamb photo - I still have to find mine. I would love to be on those sands - a great stretch ahead bliss.

Kath said...

Gosh those lambs look well grown. My 2 dogs would love a run on that beach, now the weather is getting warmer I must pack them into the car and go down to Berrow.