Wednesday 27 July 2011

Nuthatch

We have just had three of these beautiful birds hopping around in our weeping willow tree.
~
I was lying underneath the tree in dappled sunlight, having a lazy cold drink and reading 'Remarkable Creatures' by Tracy Chevalier - it is the chosen book for my reading group.
~
I was suddenly aware of tapping noises and thought it must be our occasional woodpecker, but I could see that the birds making the noise were far too small for that. Then I could see the classic curved silhouette of the nuthatch tapping up the tree.
Unfortunately I did not have binoculars to get a really close look, but it was magical, as we have only seen one once before and I saw three!!
~
There have been masses of birds in our garden recently:- families of blue tits, great tits, coal tits, a couple of collar-doves, a wood pigeon, several young, brown speckled blackbirds, magpies as usual, and a couple of sightings of a jay, which again is superb as we had only seen one a couple of times in all the ten years we have been here.
~
A magical time, summer - I love it. Have only been in the sea once this summer so far, but am hoping for many more dips very soon, now that the sea is a bit warmer.
~
Hope you are all having a good summer so far.
~
Ann x

2 comments:

Kath said...

How lovely, I would love to see a nuthatch.
We had a family of long tailed tits on the nut feeder recently, they are one of my favourites.

mrsnesbitt said...

So so lovely! Dxx